Home Editors' Pick Artisanal miners die from carbon monoxide

Artisanal miners die from carbon monoxide

by commuadmin
21 views

CommuTalk Reporter

SHURUGWI: Three artisanal miners died recently after breathing carbon monoxide generated by a petrol engine they took underground to run a water pump in Shurugwi.

The incident occurred last Thursday, barely a week after three other miners died at Bonsa mine, again in Shurugwi, after a ladder they were using collapsed.

Police in Shurugwi said the three who died in the disaster were pumping water underground at J and C Mine and died in succession.

As the first passed out the second went down and when he was hit the third went down. Area legislator, Rabson Nyathi, who also confirmed the tragedy said the three had taken a petrol engine pump into a 20-metre-deep shaft.

“They started the engine while underground and then went out leaving it running. One of them then later got underground to check the levels of water, but due to carbon monoxide, he died.

“The second one went down to check why the first partner did not return and he was also choked and died, the same happened to the third guy, and they all died tragically in succession while trying to check on each other,” he said.

Police identified the deceased as Moses Mzila (18), Gilbert Makusha (24) and Vusa Mabutho (24), all of Dombojena in Shurugwi.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More